Advanced Courses. Modules.
How to handle a boat in all circumstances and solve problems afloat. The emphasis of this course is on increasing the self-reliance and decision-making of the sailor, by spending time developing your boat handling and manoeuvring skills in a seamanlike manner. Key learning points: coming alongside, man overboard recovery and reefing.
The fundamentals of getting off the start line and round the course.
Improve you racing technique and knowledge for racing at club level.
Sailing with Spinnakers
Everything you need to know about sailing with conventional or asymmetric spinnakers. This course is delivered by an Advanced Instructor or by an instructor with appropriate experience and approved by the Centre Chief Instructor. The syllabus will cover:
- Rigging including spinnaker and trapeze if fitted.
- Launching boats that have open transoms and racks.
- Sailing techniques and manoeuvres appropriate to spinnaker boats.
- Capsize recovery in relation to deployed spinnakers.
- Racing courses and techniques for spinnakers.
- The theory of apparent wind sailing.
- How hull shape affects performance.
- Rig set up sources.
It is assumed that when starting on this course you have already mastered the practical skills and absorbed the background knowledge required for the previous levels in either the RYA National Sailing Scheme or the RYA Youth Sailing Scheme.
Passage planning and decision making for small boat cruising.