Powerboat courses run with a minimum ration of 1:1 and a maximum of 1:3 students. Powerboat courses are available all year round upon request. Please contact us via email or the contacts us page on our website for further information.
RYA Level 1 – Start Powerboating
This course is an introduction to boating techniques for launching and recovering a boat from a road trailer, everyday boat handling and the use of safety equipment.
- Assumed knowledge: None
- Minimum duration: 1 day
- Minimum age: 8. Candidates under the age of 16 will be issued with an endorsement certificate.
- Course content: Launch and recovery (8-11 year olds observe) Preparation of boat and crew, boat handling, picking up and securing to a mooring buoy, leaving and coming alongside, and being towed.
- Ability after the course: To be able to drive under supervision
RYA Level 2 – Powerboat Handling
This two-day entry level course provides the skills and background knowledge needed to drive a powerboat and is the basis of the International Certificate of Competence (ICC). It focuses on low speed close quarters handling, man overboard recovery, an introduction to driving at planing speed, and collision regulations. The course can be taken inland or on the coast and your certificate will be endorsed accordingly.
- Assumed knowledge: None. May be preceded by Level 1 – Start Powerboating
- Minimum duration: 2 days
- Minimum age: 12. Candidates under the age of 16 will be issued with an endorsed certificate.
- Course content: Launching and recovery, boat handling, securing to a buoy, anchoring, leaving and coming alongside, and man overboard.
- Ability after the course: Self-sufficient power boater in the right conditions, aware of own limitations and those of craft
Under 16s Powerboating
Powerboating is great fun and you can be driving the boat yourself in no time, practising skills and learning how to stay safe on the water.
From the age of 8 you can take our Level 1 Start Powerboating Course, and from the age of 12 you can take the Level 2 Powerboat Handling course. You will be taught in suitable boats that aren’t too big or heavy for you to handle, and your course will be adapted to suit your age and ability.
After your course you will able to drive a powerboat under the supervision of an adult. From the age of 16 you can progress within our training scheme.
You can also use RYA powerboat courses to work towards Duke of Edinburgh Awards.
RYA Safety Boat Driver (specialist course)
This two-day course provides the skills required when acting as an escort craft, safety boat or coach boat for a fleet of dinghies, windsurfers or canoes, or for racing or training activities. It includes rescue techniques and elements of race management and mark laying.
- Assumed knowledge: Basic understanding of sailing boats and windsurfers. RYA Powerboat Level 2 Powerboat Handling certificate must be held prior to this course.
- Minimum duration: 2 days
- Minimum age: 16
- Course content: Preparation, boat handling, dinghy rescue, windsurfer rescue, kayak or canoe rescue (can be covered as theory), towing, end-of-day procedures, safety, suitability of craft, local factors, communication, and rescuing other water users.
- Ability after the course: Able to provide safety or support cover to a range of craft, particularly sailing.